In situ detection of colorectal tumors by 3D images analysis using laser telemeter on capsule endoscopy technology
- Wireless capsule endoscopy
- Colorectal cancer
Colorectal Cancer(CRC) is one of the most common causes of cancer deaths worldwide: 694000 deaths in 2012 and the second cause of cancer-related deaths in the European Union. Currently, no existing screening method for the diagnosis of this pathology are satisfying. Indeed, the standard and principally used CRC screening method (Faecal Occult Blood Testing) demonstrates several substantial limitations. Besides, other screening methods, such as colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy, are either invasive with serious potential complications or present detection disadvantages. The Wireless Capsule Endoscopy (WCE) technological solution, proposed in the past in order to overcome these drawbacks, also presented several limitations such as low diagnostic sensitivity and specificity, strongly associated with technical limitations ; namely, image acquisition, spatial and temporal resolution,autonomy, and localization.
The aim of the project is to develop an intelligent ingestible capsule suitable for CRC diagnosis. IntelligentWCE-based screening has the potential to replace the major bulk of conventional endoscopy in the early detection of CRC. This innovation is a combination of configurable WCE with enhanced in-vivo 2D and 3D imaging and recognition properties in a low power manner.
A macro-prototype of the capsule has been developed.A non-miniaturized version was tested on phantom(tube with wide section). The algorithm was validated on 100 videos.
- This novel capsule is designed to be used in early detection of colorectal cancer and other gastrointestinal tract pathologies.
- High sensitivity through three-dimensional and multi-spectral high quality imaging
- 3D in-vivo imaging with a targeted accuracy of 1 mm
- Autonomy and low power consumption: power budget for localization is 10-times smaller than most current state-of-the-art methods
- Shorten time delays and improve diagnosis by focusing physicians only on relevant images of gastrointestinal lesion
HEALTH | Number ref.: #MA00313
Wireless capsule endoscopy, Diagnosis, Colorectal cancer, Screening